We will soon stop burning fossil gas.
Progress so far:
Next up, roughly:
- Install mechanical ventilation to balance air-tightness efforts.
- Replace roof soffits including wind diverters.
- Re-do loft boarding and install 350-400mm² mineral wool insulation.
- Replace loft hatch with air-tight model.
- Replace knackered uPVC windows with triple glazing with insulated reliefs.
- Replace hot water tank with unvented type.
- Install ~4kW heat pump.
Progress log and notes
- signed contract with People Powered Retrofit to make a Home Retrofit Plan
- sent window dimensions and layouts to Ecospheric for initial price
- cleared a load of wood from loft in prep for replacing boarding
- measured joists, trusses, loft hatch etc and modelled in Sketchup
- ordered air tight loft hatch (AT15) with U value 0.15 W/m²K
- received new loft hatch. measured and double checked dimensions.
destroyed removed architrave from loft hatch
- Ordered 6mm thick timber
to reduce the width of the loft hatch between joists. The new airtight loft
hatch needs a very precise hole to mate with its foam seals.
- Installed timber strips into loft hatch, flush with ceiling plaster.
- Installed loft hatch into position. The ceiling needs fixing but the position and seal look good.
- Drew dMEV design onto floorplan
- Finished draft ventilation design, sent to People Powered Retrofit
- Ordered ventilation fans, acoustic ventilators, CO₂ sensors
- Emailed Retrofit Windows in Shrewsbury
(suggested by Ecospheric as they offer supply and install)
- Pestered People Powered Retrofit to start the Home Retrofit Plan